Sunday, March 26, 2017

Cover Progress




         Since every cover for the literary magazines I researched featured a piece of art work, I thought it appropriate to follow the trend. After all, a literary magazine's purpose is to showcase artwork, both literary and visual. Attached below is a WIP image of the cover I handprinted.

Here she is.


         (Forgive the low-quality image; my scanner was broken and I couldn't get better lighting at the time) The title (or at least, the current title) is "Full Disclosure". Artists typically use their craft as an emotional outlet, therefore giving the metaphorical "full disclosure" of their own thoughts and ideas. The cover image features a painting of a hand clutching a heart, squeezing out and propelling ink and writing paraphernalia out of its arteries instead of blood. This is a metaphor (although maybe a bit too on the nose) for the importance of literature, as I'm equating it with blood. Attached below is the cover in a further state of progress:


         The changes made between this picture and the last were made purely for aesthetics. I chose to paint the background with a similar color scheme as the subject to keep it easy to look at. I fear that using a highly contrasting would've made the cover too abrasive on the eyes. The white outlines around everything were drawn to distinguish them from the background. I didn't entirely intend to keep them, but the end result made the cover look like a sheet of stickers, which I found aesthetically pleasing.







No comments:

Post a Comment