Sunday, March 19, 2017

An Observation of the Two-Page Spread



          Moving on from covers, I'm going to discuss my observations of the designs for two-page spreads. During my research I found a noticeable trend;

The Walrus, April 2013

The New Yorker, Nov. 16 2015

Popshot Magazine
         Much like the covers of the literary magazines I've seen, less seems to be more. This type of spread (one side headed with a title and filled with text, the other displaying a piece of thematically relevant piece of art work) seems to be very popular, as it keeps appearing in my searches. Despite the choice words I had for this magazine in my previous, my favorite variation of this layout is The Walrus's. I love how the font for the title and the first letter of the text is stylized and coordinates with the colors of the artwork. It's a small detail, but creating visual interest in a magazine is crucial for holding the audience's attention. 
         
         Though I found myself fixated on The New Yorker during the beginning of this project, I'm starting to gravitate toward other magazines for inspiration. The Walrus and Potshot Magazine have shown themselves to be quite versatile when it came down to two-page spreads. Along with the "half and half" layout I discussed above, the magazines also included:


Full art spreads...

Popshot Magazine


Text overlapping art...

Popshot Magazine
Popshot Magazine

         










And text wrapping around art (or vice-versa).

Popshot Magazine


The Walrus, Dec. 2013









Potshot Magazine

































         I'll keep these layouts in mind for the future; they're too pretty to ignore.


No comments:

Post a Comment