Thursday, April 6, 2017

Color Palettes

         There's a particular two-page spread from an issue of The Walrus that has remained in my mind throughout my designing process. I believe I included an image of it in a previous blog post:


The Walrus, April 2013

         The reason why this spread appears so appealing is because of its color coordination. The artwork on the right side features a mostly cool color palette (blues, purples, deep pinks, greens, etc.) and the page on the left matches it; the heading is typed out in a soft blue, and the first letter of the text is composed of an amalgamation of colors taken from the color scheme. This creates visual interest and keeps the viewer's eye engaged. 
         I also enjoy how the artwork is themetaically tied to the writing. The piece is a memoir called "The Meaning of White", and if the subheading of this layout is too compressed to be easily read, it says:

         "Science can explain why my daughter has a genetic disorder called albinism, 
           but it is in stories that I find comfort"

         Immediately, the artwork takes on meaning; now there's intention behind leaving the girl in the image uncolored.  I'm trying to replicate this type of design in my own magazine; My cover and table of contents already have matching color schemes. I think it to be in my best interest to pick a piece of art work than continues the trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment